5 Plants That Are Toxic To Dogs

26 February 2016
 Categories: , Blog

The thought of your sweet pup eating a toxic plant and getting sick or potentially dying is truly terrifying. Some innocuous-seeming plants in your home or garden are in fact harmful to dogs. The good news is that once you know what they are, you can identify them and make sure to keep them away from your dog. Here are five plants that can make your dogs sick:


While ingesting a poinsettia plant is unlikely to kill your dog, it is mildly toxic to pets. If your dog eats a poinsettia he may get an upset stomach and feel quite sick all night. It's best to avoid the risk and keep your dogs away from this popular Christmas plant.


If you or your spouse brews your own beer as a hobby, you might like to grow your own hops in your yard. Unfortunately, some studies have shown that some breeds of dogs (especially greyhounds) have a toxic reaction to hops. In dogs that are susceptible, ingesting hops can lead to vomiting, seizures, and even death.  

Tomato Plants

One of the most popular plants in most summer gardens, tomato plants can be poisonous to dogs. While tomatoes themselves will probably lead to little more than a stomach ache (which is still unpleasant, so you should avoid giving your dogs tomatoes), the leaves are much more toxic to pets. Don't plant tomatoes in your garden unless you encase the plants or garden itself in fencing that your dog can not get through.


Azaleas are popular flowers, and many pet owners are aware that they are toxic to pets. Both the leaves and the flowers themselves are considered poisonous. If your dog is bigger and only eats a small amount, they will probably only experience mild stomach pain and nausea. If a smaller dog gets into your azaleas, and particularly if they eat a large quantity, the poison can be quite dangerous, however.


Cheerful yellow daffodils look beautiful in a vase on the kitchen table, but they should be kept completely out of the range of your dog as they contain toxins that are dangerous to pets. A dog who eats daffodils may experience vomiting and convulsions, and should be taken to the vet promptly.

It's a good idea to keep these plants where dogs can't get to them. To be on the safe side, you may want to avoid keeping them in your home or garden at all. If you suspect that your dog may have ingested a poisonous plant, bring them to the vet immediately. For more information, check with a professional like those at Abri Animal Hospital.